Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Pesto Dinner Rolls



We've had a rotten week at our house.  My dear, sweet father-in-law passed away early Saturday morning from a brain hemorrhage.  He's been married to my mother-in-law for 15 years, so he was really a step parent, but we loved him so much it didn't feel that way to us.  So please forgive me if it's a couple of weeks before I get the chance to post anything.  Between the funeral and helping my mom-in-law, we'll be busy.

But I did want to give you this recipe I made last week.  I think you all know how much I love pesto.  It definitely belongs in the "food of the Gods" category (along with chocolate, chipotle peppers and garlic, just to name a few).  These rolls are perfect with any Italian dish, especially if you are too lazy to make garlic bread, which I usually am.  I also think they would make great sandwich rolls.

Now in reality, you could make pesto dinner rolls using any roll recipe you want.  Just add half the flour, then the pesto, then the remaining flour.  Just adjust the amount of pesto for how many rolls you're making.  As I was making these, I was thinking that a sun-dried tomato pesto would be awesome!

Pesto Dinner Rolls
12" dutch oven

2 1/2 - 3 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
1 Tbs. instant yeast
1 cup warm water
1 Tbs. oil
4 Tbs. pesto

In a mixing bowl, mix 2 1/2 cups flour with salt, sugar and yeast.   Add the oil and warm water and mix well.  Stir in the pesto.  Add enough flour to make a soft dough, it should be tacky but not sticky.  Knead until smooth and elastic, about 5-7 minutes.  Place in an oiled bowl and turn to oil the top.  Cover and allow to rise until doubled, about 1 hour.

Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and divide into 16 portions for rolls, or 8 for sandwich rolls.  Place in a well oiled dutch oven.  Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Bake at 375° for 20 minutes or until golden brown.  Use 1 1/2 rings + a couple of coals on top and 1 ring on the bottom.  Makes 16 dinner rolls or 8 sandwich rolls.

4 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your fil! I pray that you all will be comforted during your time of loss! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your father-in-law. I will be saying a pray for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This look awesome :) I can dare to try this tonight !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quick-Let me know how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails