Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Day 313: Cantaloupe Bread

I'm trying really hard not to complain.  I really am.  But it is FREEZING outside!  The last week I've been cooking in my garage because its been pouring rain.  Now today the forecast calls for snow.  Seriously?  I could have sworn that summer just started.  So think of me when your cooking dinner, because I'm probably freezing outside.  :)  But at least I have hot coals to keep me warm! 

But enough complaining.  I saw this recipe on the Internet the other day.  I really wish I had saved the site, because it was a great blog.  Unfortunately, I only jotted down this recipe.  Too bad I didn't find this one a few months ago when I had fresh cantaloupe from my garden.


Cantaloupe Bread
2 10" dutch ovens

2 cups cantaloupe, seeded and pureed (about half a large cantaloupe)
3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

Brown Sugar Praline Glaze:

1/2 cup butter
1 2/3 cups brown sugar1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)

In a large bowl, beat together eggs, oil, sugar, vanilla, and cantaloupe. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and ginger. Stir flour mixture into cantaloupe mixture; stir to combine. Pour batter into 2 greased 10" dutch ovens.  Bake at 325° for 45 minutes to an hour, until a toothpick inserted into center of loaf comes out clean.  Use 1 1/2 rings minus 1 or 2 coals (depending on outside air temperature) on top and 1 ring on the bottom.

Meanwhile combine butter and brown sugar in a small dutch oven over about 6 coals.  Mix in pecans if desired. Pour sauce over warm bread. Let cool for 1 hour before serving.  Makes 2 loaves.

The Finished Product



The Review

Wow this was moist.  The cantaloupe flavor was really subtle.  If you didn't know what was in it, you'd have a hard time pinning down what it was.  It has a really nice flavor though.  Easily as good as banana or zucchini bread.  It was fun because who would ever think of making cantaloupe bread?  I think its a keeper!  Grade B+.

1 comment:

  1. Just finished cooking the cantaloupe cake mix in dozens of muffins and 16 tiny ones. I added blueberries just before putting them in the oven. Baked them for 1hour the big ones and 40 minutes for the tiny ones. They are succulent. Thank you for sharing your recipe and no, I didn't use a dutch oven, Wish I could have that. Kindly, Peggy

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails