Saturday, July 10, 2010

Day 190: Chicken Pot Pie

We have a busy day ahead of us, so this will be a quick one!  When I've made chicken pot pie in the past, I've always used cream of chicken soup, so I was excited to find one that looked good with a from scratch gravy.  I also made my own pie crust for this one.  I really must be a "pie crust retard" because no matter what I do I can't get it right.  I'm going to have to put some serious research and practice into it.  But enough about that, here is today's recipe.  I found it here.

Chicken Pot Pie
10" dutch oven

1 Lb. chicken, cubed
2 potatoes, cubed
1 c. sliced carrots
1 c. frozen green peas
1-2 bouillon cubes
1/3 c. butter
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. sliced celery
1/3 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. celery seed
1 3/4 c. chicken broth
2/3 c. milk
1 c. corn (canned), drained
2 egg whites, beaten
2 (9 inch) Pillsbury unbaked pie crusts (I made my own)

 In a 10" dutch oven, combine chicken, potatoes, carrots, peas, and celery. Cover with water, add bouillon cube(s) and boil for 15 minutes. Use a full spread of coals for this.  Remove from heat, drain and set aside.

In the same dutch oven, over a full spread of coals,  heat garlic, onions and celery in butter until soft and translucent. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and celery seed. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick (if you like a thinner sauce, add more chicken broth and milk a little at a time until you reach your desired consistency) and add corn. Add the other veggies (potatoes, carrots, etc..) and chicken to the sauce and stir to coat all the veggies in sauce. Remove from heat and set aside.

Clean out your dutch oven and place one of the pie crusts in the bottom and lightly brush with egg whites. Bake at 375° for about 5 minutes.  I used 1 ring on the bottom and 1 ring + a couple of coals on top.   Remove from heat and pour in the sauce/veggie mix.  It will come clear to the top of your crust.  Cover with the other crust and seal the edges. Cut some slits in the top, brush with egg whites and bake for about 35-40 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.  Serves 6-8.

The Finished Product



The review

This was really good.  I really like the flavor celery seed gives chicken dishes.  This was quite simple and came together quickly.  I think this will be my go to pot pie recipe.  Even though my crust wasn't great and never did brown, it was passable.  My family didn't complain.  Overall, this pot pie gets a B+, and that's with my unflakey, unbrowned crust.  It would be worthy of a better grade if my crust was better.

1 comment:

  1. Pie Crust a'la Ferrin

    In the early days of I.D.O.S. the Ferrin's were often cook-off winers. Mainly for there pie crust. It is very important to keep every thing very cold all though The making of it. Freeze your bowl, your flour, every thing.

    3 cups flour, all-purpose
    1 1/2 teaspoon sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoon salt
    3/4 teaspoon baking powder
    1 1/2 cups shortening
    3/4 cups ice water
    1 egg
    1 tablespoon water

    Mix flour, sugar salt, and baking powder, with whisk. Cut in shortening with a pastry cutter. Stir in ice water slowly. ( it may not take it all.) Roll out on a floured board. Use 3/4 of the dough for bottom of pie. Use the rest on top to decorate pie. Brush top with a mixture of 1 egg, 1 tablespoon water.

    This is the only one that works for ME. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails