Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Day 82: Blueberry Dump Cobbler

Since I'm still feeling awful, my 3 oldest kids took over the dutch oven duties for me yesterday. Bless them for wanting to help! They have all watched me cook DO, but not done it themselves. So they put everything together and started the coals. I told them when the coals were ready and how many to use and they did the rest!

Blueberry Dump Cobbler
12" dutch oven

2 bags frozen blueberries
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2-1 cup brown sugar
1 box white cake mix
1 can cream soda
Pour both bags of blueberries into your DO. Sprinkle them with the white sugar. Sprinkle the cake mix on top of the berries. Gently pour the cream soda over the cake mix. Then sprinkle with brown sugar. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes using 15 coals on top and 9 on the bottom or until it is hot and bubbly. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream. Serves 6-8.
The Finished Product
The Review
The kids did a great job on this. I am really proud of them. The only thing I would change is next time I will use 2 boxes of cake mix. The cake all sunk into the berries and I wanted more of a crust. Other than that, it was great. This gets an A just because my kids are great!

3 comments:

  1. Toni, hope you get feeling better soon.

    Quick question, at what point do you add the brown sugar?

    Thanks, Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Steve--I'll fix the post. I can tell the cold meds are getting the best of me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Toni - I had to ask my lovely wife about this, as we haven't done a cobbler since last summer!

    Her thought was that you need more liquid from the fruit. We use fresh peaches that have been mixed with sugar and allowed to sit for a while, until they "make their own syrup." I know the recipes I have seen that use canned fruit call for using the liquid, too.

    My wife says that the liquid from the fruit rises and helps keep the cake mix from sinking in. And we gently pour the soda just in the center.

    Cobbler was one of our first DO dishes and has always turned out great. (BTW, we usually had berries of some sort to the peaches when we assemble the dish.)

    Al

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails